Recharge body, mind and soul on a Retreat

Monkton Wyld, Dorset
Quite a few years ago when I first started running my own business, I decided it would be a good idea every few months to take a couple of days away on my own to recharge and reflect.  I used a book called "Imperfectly Natural Woman" by Janey Lee Grace ( radio 2 presenter) as my inspiration.  I found places that were good value and used them much like a B & B....a very cheap alternative.  My first trip was to Monkton Wyld Court in Dorset.

I remember clearly my sister waving me off one Sunday with the Sunday papers giggling away at the thought of me joining a vegetarian community.  Arriving on a Sunday meant no other guests there which had not crossed my mind.  Her prediction came close as there was little point eating alone in the dining room so I was invited to join the residents who ran the retreat around their lovely wooden table.  I felt quite at home eating really good home cooked pizza among a friendly bunch of souls.  The porridge was there in the morning for me to help myself and I left with a bread receipe that I never quite used.  It wasn't just the food, and the people that made the place, it was the old rustic charm and no tv.  I took myself off on a decent walk to Lyme Regis as I got completely lost but the sea beckoned me closer and suddenly I was surrounded by noise and people!  Admittedly by day 2 of entertaining myself, I was ready to head home to some home comforts.  I did repeat my trip to Monkton Wyld but there was talk of the building repair work being too costly for the residents and having to close it down.  The building had quite a history as had been a school during the War, a Steiner school.  Second visit I was asked to join the community which amused me no end.  I like the retreats but not that much!

Deer in the Quantock Hills, Somerset



What I gained most from these retreats was perspective.  I had time to design my business logo, and work out which direction I was heading.  The deer in my logo was inspired by a retreat in Somerset.   So from a practical perspective retreats can inspire creativity and be productive even while you are relaxing.  Recent retreats for me have all been centred around a specific activity or course.  Sound and sacred dance retreats in Glastonbury, and Croatia have been transformational.  Retreats can be very therapeutic leaving you in a very positive place, whether you like yoga, hiking, painting  or playing drums.  By joining a group of people you have never met before, you gain a sense of freedom to be whoever you want to be.  There are no preconceived ideas, no labels so you become who you are deep down at heart.  The added bonus of a retreat abroad is a new country to explore and sunshine!

Sunset from the island of Iz, Croatia
The good news is I am exploring the idea of holding my own retreats with Jennifer Hoodless, a personal trainer (www.livelypt.co.uk) who is as passionate about exercise as i am about massage and relaxation.  We both value the great outdoors so are on the look out for a beautiful and affordable location.  If you want to get involved with suggestions, please feel free to contact me at vmansergh@hotmail.com, 01491 577480 or visit my website Complete Worx Pilates. 

Glastonbury at dusk with the Tor in the background